Chester Township Public Works serves all of the residents in Chester Township by enhancing the quality of life and relationships within our community.
Seasonal and ongoing activities include:
- General road repairs, as well as snow and ice removal, on the Township’s roadway network
- Maintenance of the Township’s police, rescue, and administrative vehicles
- Traffic sign maintenance and roadway striping of all municipal roads
- Electronic waste recycling collection at DPW building the first Saturday and Wednesday of every month
- Fleet Maintenance of all mechanized vehicles and equipment for: Chester Police, Chester First Aid Squad, Emergency Management, Administrative Vehicles, Public Works, Parks, and Chester Board of Education
- Maintenance of Chester Township parks and the Chester Township Municipal Building
- Repairs to Township-owned facilities.
Mailbox Damage and Replacement
Click here to view the ordinance covering the damage to mailboxes caused by official Township activities (snow plowing) and reimbursement. Reports of damaged mailboxes due to Township plows should be directed to the DPW Secretary, Mary Nowicki, at 908-879-5916 x319 or MNowicki@chestertownship.org
Placing a new mailbox
Here are some helpful guidelines to follow when installing a mailbox:
- Position your mailbox 41″ to 45″ above ground level.
- Place your mailbox 6″ to 8″ back from the curb. If you do not have a raised curb, contact your local postmaster for guidance.
- Put your house or apartment number on the mailbox.
- If your mailbox is on a different street from your house or apartment, put your full street address on the box.
- Mailboxes take a beating from the weather, so we recommend an annual mailbox checkup to avoid damage to your mail or difficulty identifying your address.
- Tighten loose hinges on the door.
- Take care of rusty or loose parts.
- Replace missing or faded house numbers.
- Keep the path to your mailbox clear.
During snow removal operations sometimes mailboxes are damaged due to improper installation. In an effort to prevent damage to your mailbox, please see the following USPS installation instructions. It is important to note that both the height and the distance from the curb or shoulder measurements should be followed accordingly.
Road Maintenance Information
Questions regarding how we make decisions about road improvement projects? View this presentation titled ‘Roads 101’ presented by DPW Chief Craig Reiner.
To report a pothole please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tentative Road Maintenance Schedule for 2023 (subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen factors)
Milling & Paving: Melrose Dr, Spinello Ln, Christina Ct, Cherry Tree Ln, Warren Cutting, Sugar Maple Row.
Seal Coat: Long View Rd
Micro Paving: Parker Rd, Oakdale Rd, Flanders Rd, Colby Farm Rd, Old Mill Rd to Rt 24, Larison Rd, Ironia Rd, Four Bridges Rd, Old Farmstead Rd.
NJ DOT Local Aid 2023: Hillside Rd.