The Township of Chester currently owns nine fine park facilities that are available for use by Township residents. The Township continues to try to meet the needs of the community for open space and recreational facilities as well as resource protection for the long-term health of the community. The Township’s successful open space acquisition program is funded in part by a dedicated property tax levy of .02/ $100.00 of assessed value. The funds collected have been used in conjunction with grants from the Morris County Open Space Trust Fund and the State of New Jersey’s Green Acres Program. The Township’s parks are administered by the Parks Advisory Committee, an appointed volunteer group, which is responsible for developing park facilities, setting park rules, and governing park use by groups. Groups interested in using park facilities may obtain an application form below, and a schedule of fees for use from the Township Municipal Building.
General Park Rules and Regulations
- Parks are closed from dusk until dawn.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- Open fires are prohibited – EXCEPT WITH CAMPING PERMIT
- Hunting is prohibited – EXCEPT BY SPECIAL PERMIT.
- Motor vehicles are prohibited on park grounds and trails.
- Bicycles are not permitted on hiking trails.
- Camping by permit only and in designated areas only.
- No overnight parking of vehicles allowed.
- Recycle all aluminum and plastic containers. Glass is not permitted.
- Golf practice and off-leash dogs are not permitted.