The Chester Township Environmental Commission (CTEC), established by 1968 NJ State enabling legislation and Township ordinance, is composed of residents who serve as volunteers to work on many issues which include addressing environmental impacts, open space preservation, wetlands and water resources protection, recycling and conservation, and environment-related community outreach programs.
CTEC members act in an advisory capacity to the Township’s Council, Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and the Parks and Recreation Committee. They are watchdogs for environmental opportunities and challenges. They inform elected officials and the public, serve on committees, research issues, develop environmental improvement programs, and advocate for sound environmental policies.
Current activities include:
- Development of Chester Township’s Environmental Resource Inventory (ERI)
- “Sustainable Jersey” Recertification and Advancement
- The Chester Community Garden
- NJ Free Tree Seedlings Giveaway
- Annual Well Testing with the Raritan Headwaters Association
- Treatment of Selected Ash Trees in Chubb Park for Ash Borer Infestation
- Chester Science Fair Judging and CTEC Awards
The CTEC meets on the third Monday of each month at 7:00 pm at the Chester Township Municipal Building. All are welcome to attend CTEC meetings and join the effort!
Well Water Testing
Chester Township achieved Sustainable Jersey certification at the Bronze level in 2019. Certified towns are an outstanding group of municipalities that are making important contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey. To become Sustainable Jersey certified, Chester Township had to complete a host of sustainability actions. Sustainable Jersey is a voluntary program that requires no fee for certification.
To get involved with Chester Township’s Green Team and sustainability initiatives, email kpotter@ChesterTownship.org
To participate in Sustainable Jersey free workshops and events held across the state, visit www.SustainableJersey.com
Chester Township is a Sustainable Jersey Certified Community
Chester Township partners with the Raritan Headwaters Association (RHA) each year to offer well water testing to residents. The next testing event will be held on May 14, 2022 from 2-5 p.m. at Town Hall. Residents can pre-order test kits on the RHA’s website, but walk-ins are also fine. The test will come with detailed instructions on how to properly collect the sample. Take the test kit home and collect a sample according to the instructions. Return your sample to Town Hall on May 17 between the hours of 7-9:30 a.m. Residents will receive results approximately 2 weeks later.
NJ Private Well Testing Act (PWTA) data
Links to Environmental Organizations in NJ
- New Jersey Invasive Species Strike Team
- Great Swamp Watershed Association
- Morris County Park Commission
- New Jersey Audubon Society
- New Jersey Parks and Forests
- Raritan Headwaters Association
- Schiff Natural Lands Trust & Nature Preserve
- Stormwater Education
- The Nature Conservancy – New Jersey Field Office is located at: 200 Pottersville Road, Chester, NJ 07930 – (908) 879-7262